DID YOU KNOW THAT?….
– paraskavedekatriaphobia as well as friggatriskaidekaphobia and triskaidekaphobia all mean fear of Friday the 13th;
– Superstitious diners in Paris can hire a quatorzieme, or professional 14th guest.
– The number 13 suffers from its position after 12, according to numerologists who consider the latter to be a complete number — 12 months in a year, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 gods of Olympus, 12 labors of Hercules, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 apostles of Jesus, 12 days of Christmas and 12 eggs in a dozen.
– 2015 has three Friday the 13ths–February, March & November!..& that last happened in 2009.
– A loaf of bread should never be turned upside down after a slice has been cut from it.
– Never take a broom along when you move. Throw it out and buy a new one.
– If the first butterfly you see in the year is white, you will have good luck all year.
– If a black cat walks towards you, it brings good fortune, but if it walks away, it takes the good luck with it.
– If you catch a falling leaf on the first day of autumn you will not catch a cold all winter.
This is how humans are: we question all our beliefs, except for the ones we really believe, and those we never think to question. ~Orson Scott Card
We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe; the record may seem superficial, but it is indelible. You cannot educate a man wholly out of the superstitious fears which were implanted in his imagination, no matter how utterly his reason may reject them. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., The Poet at the Breakfast Table, 1872
Generally the theories we believe we call facts, and the facts we disbelieve we call theories. ~Felix Cohen
If the sun and moon should doubt,
They’d immediately go out.
~William Blake (1757-1827), “Auguries of Innocence”
Cheers to an indisputably fine Friday & wonderful weekend !!!